Sunday 3 August 2014

Over Kellet and Preston

I have two ukulele events to report on today. The first was held in Over Kellet at their village hall when the Gillow group from Lancaster were playing for a 'Vintage and Craft Fair'. It looked like everyone, players and listeners, enjoyed themselves but that's generally what happens when you play the ukulele. We didn't have our usual leader, Sue Parish but we didn't play too badly. The starts and ends could have been a bit sharper, and for the first time I heard a comment that we could have been a bit louder but that must be a good comment!

This evening I went to the Preston Ukulele Strummers Society and was made very welcome. I play with four clubs on a regular basis and have visited quite a few more, but the music choice this evening was different from what I usually expect. We started with Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd and went on to play Brain Damage and Eclipse. We played a Robert Palmer song that I'd never heard previously but it reminded me of Supper's Ready by Genesis. I'll take this one with me next time I make a visit. It made my first choice of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Universally Speaking, look quite tame.

They all enjoyed their music at Preston but the thing that impressed me the most was the way they played together. It looked like they all had an in-depth knowledge of the music that they were playing. It may well be the case that there are people in every club who like this type of music but today it looked like they all did.

Aloha

No comments:

Post a Comment